A Vibrant, Innovative, Award-Winning Social Enterprise
Visit from the Stork CIC is a social enterprise for new parents and parents-to-be across Greater Manchester. Our vision is for all parents to be equipped with the resources they need to maximise their potential and achieve a better quality of life for themselves and their family.
We tackle stigmatised subjects through digital media campaigns, family-friendly events, and accessible advice and information. We are content and story-driven, giving parents a voice by sharing their stories and experiences about issues that matter to them. We believe parents sharing their experiences enables others to learn, and organisations like ourselves to innovate ideas and initiate social change.
Since 2013, we have run numerous successful projects; having started out life as the UK’s only publication for parents and parents-to-be under 25, we have grown to be an organisation helping parents of all ages tackle issues that are stigmatised and unspoken about and yet are happening every single day.
We are proud to be working in the City of Salford, Greater Manchester; one of the fastest growing cities in the North West in terms of population size and regeneration. This however, brings challenges for families and support services as budgets are also squeezed for things once considered statutory.
Our Guiding principles
- Giving parents a voice – helping new parents & parents-to-be to be informed of their choices throughout maternity care, birth and beyond into parenthood.
- Initiating social change – Listening to what parents want and need, and connecting parents, organisations and services to our community.
- Challenging the status quo – Creating effective, targeted media campaigns that engage parents and reach influencers and decision makers in Greater Manchester.
- Communicating how it really is – Talking honestly about experiences of parenthood, through our digital platforms, social media pages and events, giving peer support to new parents of all ages.
- Being content & Story driven – We provide important information, interesting articles and stories from local parents and their experiences across all our platforms.
- Delivering quality & Value – We take pride in delivering quality work and services to parents, and being value for money for our Partners, Sponsors and Funders.
Yep, we love BOOBS! Be Open on Breastfeeding Salford is an open community and group encouraging mums to be open about their breastfeeding experiences (the good, the bad, the ugly!) and inspire others to breastfeed for longer. We work with local businesses on our BOOBS Approved scheme, provide Peer support across the city and online, and hold regular events. Our aim is to ensure every mum can have a safe & happy breastfeeding journey.
Click on our BOOBS logo to find out more. You can see some pictures of our events below.
Bump & Family
Taking over from our printed and digital VFTS magazine, Bump & Family is our new beating heart of Visit from the Stork CIC. Bump & Family is our main digital platform, with information and advice about everything from pregnancy to starting school. We know families are struggling with issues such as HG, Miscarriages, Baby loss, birth trauma, mental health issues, breastfeeding challenges and health problems through disabilities or illness. We aim to tackle these subjects and more through accessible articles, videos and media campaigns. We also run quarterly Families in Bloom Pamper & Play events tackling issues and bringing parents together with support organisations.
We are happy to work with charities and organisations to spread awareness and initiate change about issues affecting families in Greater Manchester.
Relaunch COMING SOON!
That Toy Thing
That Toy Thing is a brand new, sustainable and affordable toy subscription service. We aim to help families play more sustainably, whilst saving money and reducing plastic waste and clutter. We want to create a new future where throwing away toys is a thing of the past. We will collect donations of good-quality pre-loved toys and hire them out in subscription packages. For just £5 a month, parents will be able to borrow up to £20 worth of toys, £10 a month for £50 of toys, and £15 a month for £90 worth of toys. COMING SOON - FOLLOW @thattoything on social media to find out more.
Past and Future Projects
Our projects between 2014 and 2018 included:
- Crafty Creations 2015- a creative Art project in conjunction with Grumpy to help mums and residents in Ordsall create jewellery to sell at the Christmas market.
- Stork Academy – We ran online and face-to-face journalism courses, which enabled parents to learn new skills and be published in our magazine. 5 of our students have since gone on to Journalism training or work in the media.
- LEAP (Live, Eat, Achieve, Play) 2016- a partnership project with Ordsall Community Cafe which included creative cooking sessions for both adults and children, an Olympic festival, making a community cookbook, exercise sessions for the elderly and a big Christmas Market.
- Women in Bloom – for International Women’s Day 2017 we held a celebration event with Dance Like a Mother and Ordsall Cafe where we had stalls, dance sessions, a big play area and lunch for all mums and local women.
Coming soon…this year our focus is on income generation and sustainable growth as a social enterprise. We’ll be looking for social investment for our new ideas…
- That Toy Thing! – a Toy subscription service with the ethics of a traditional toy library. Using pre-loved and nearly-new toys to reduce plastic waste and minimise clutter – see above for more details.
- Box of B.O.O.B – a box of all things breastfeeding for new mums and mums-to-be.
What our clients say
We are delighted to announce that our founder and CEO Kimberly Bond has been selected as one of sixteen representatives of a new advisory group that will support the Mayor of Greater Manchester and the Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA) leaders to include the Social Enterprise agenda in the delivery of the Greater Manchester Strategy […]
We are pleased to announce that we have moved into new offices at St James’ House, at Salford Precinct. The office is on the 6th Floor and enables us to be right in the centre of Salford, with easy access to the university and all our communities we serve. We had a fantastic two years […]
We are delighted to announce that our BOOBS project has been awarded more funding from NHS Salford CCG. The total funding of £14,920 is provided through the Impact Fund, and administrated through Salford CVS. The funding will allow us to continue activities through our BOOBS (Be Open on Breastfeeding Salford) project, which provides free information […]
This month Rachel and I have been celebrating after we came joint first in the July Salford Sup competition for our new project idea. The Salford Sup is a quarterly event held by Salford Social Enterprise City, which is a campaign and support group made up of VCSE organisations across the city. The Sup sees […]